Tuesday, June 3, 2008

PROBLEM WITH A POSTER ON THE "O" BOARD

I have not publicly said anything until now, but a poster on the "O" site has really been giving me a very hard time. Under the various screen names she has had over the past few months, she has sent me numerous PMs - terrible ones in which she was name-calling and angry that I had not responded to every post she had posted and that I did not answer particular posts the way she thought I should.

I do not share a lot of my private life, but I have a daughter who has been on chemotherapy for some time now. She has been very ill at times and had to undergo extensive surgery in which 4 surgeons had to be in the OR working on her at once about a month ago. It was very touch-and-go for a time and it was one of the most difficult times of my life. I have been taking care of my grandsons most days and some nights and working my job as well as taking care of my daughter and getting a little respite now and then on the message boards - because it is a respite for me - something I have always found relaxing and sort of takes me away to another place for a breather and a little friendship.

As my daughter was healing from surgery and began doing better, I was able to have a little more time to be on the message boards. Suddenly, I began receiving just awful PMs from this poster. She seemed angry that she did not have a cable TV and wanted me to look things up for her and send her links to online programs and provide her with information - something I am not too familiar with myself because I am not that computer saavy. I don't really know how to pull up a TV show as it is playing. Anyway, she called me a few choice names and told me that she had posted to a couple of my threads and then listed threads she wanted me to post to. She was sending me about 5 or 6 - sometimes more PMs every day.

At the time, on some days, I was at the hospital with my daughter and did not even come home or get on the computer at all. When I finally did get on the computer, I would have several nasty PMs waiting for me from this poster telling me I was ignoring her - how dare you think you can ignore me, etc.. I explained that my daughter was ill and that I had not been on my computer and that I was only able to spend a few minutes at a time on the computer when I was at home because I was spending a lot of time at the hospital. She responded with a very offensive PM and then, after saying some awful things, wanted to know the details of my daughter's illness. This is a person I do not even know, by the way. I responded to her post as kindly as I could, but did not go into detail about my daughter's illness. She wrote back saying something like, "I asked what was wrong with your daughter and you didn't even tell me," and then she went into an angry tirade in another PM and said I was a terrible "friend" and some other things.
I PMd her back and told her that I liked her and that I enjoyed her posts and that I tried to be supportive of her on the message board. I said I may have missed some of her posts because of my lack of time on the message board and also that I tended to go to the post posted last rather than to the beginning of the thread - I think most other people do that as well. I said that I could not be counted on to be on the message board when she may want me on the message board or to respond to every single post. I said I go onto the board as a respite and to relax with no pressures on me by other people and that I want to have the choice to be on the board and to respond to the threads that interest me, but that I would try to pay special attention to looking for her posts while I was on the board and try to respond to them.

She wrote back and was very hostile. She told me she had been banned several times and that she thought I did not speak up on her behalf enough. Most of the time, I did not even know she had been banned. But, the one time I did know, I actually did post in her defense asking for her to be given another chance.

There is a LOT MORE to this story, but suffice it to say it has been kind of a nightmare. So, tonight, she is under a new screen name on the "O" Board and asked about Hillary's speech. She apparently missed it on CNN which is where I saw it and which is where I told her that it was on as well as other news networks. She said she did not see it. So, someone had mentioned that it may be on You Tube, so I posted that information for her. I wrote:

"Someone said that they may be putting it up on You Tube...Check there."

This is her response to me:

"Nurse"lady", what a fake you are. You care nothing for anyone. No wonder you're a hit when no one has to be close to you."

I am not sure what she even means by this, but some of you do know her on this board and it is not my wish to offend any of you here on this board because I love my interactions with you and I consider you friends. So, I felt a need to let you know that I will no longer be responding to this person. It has nothing to do with anyone else, just her. If it seems like a problem or a disruption here, please let me know and I will remove myself. But, I just cannot allow this to continue with this person.

Chris

9 comments:

gonkrazi said...

Chris this sounds serious enough to share with Harpo.

Nicole said...

Chris- I am so sorry , most about your daughter and I send my prayers to both of you and your family. I know how very hard this much be for all of you.I have gone through something similar as I told you and it takes a lot of courage...I have had similar messages from this poster and once she told me that I should just "die"..She stated I was an elitist. Please do not be upset by this. It may be that she is bi-polar or something similar. I think we have developed a wonderful group of women ( and yes one man Greg lol ) here and can be a great support group as well. You are a kind and caring person as is evidenced in all of your posts. Do not let her upset you or drive you away. And we have here to come and vent- which is nice!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I am very grateful.

In Friendship,
Chris

P.S. Greg's a man???

JUST KIDDING!!! lol!

Nicole said...

HA- sometimes he is....just kidding greg...

Anonymous said...

Well...okay...I guess a man on the board's okay.

Just giving you a hard time (in a friendly way), Greg.

;)

lucretia54 said...

I agree that you should share this with Harpo. I noticed her the other day and I wanted to hit the abuse button but I didn't know what to say. I was just telling a friend the other day that I liked the Oprah boards because they were safe.
Harpo knows this person's vital information, and hopefully deal with her in an appropriate manner.
I hope, anyway!
There have been some crazies in the last few days....
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this Chris, as a Quaker I say I will "Hold you in the Light."

Marsha/lovun2oth

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Marsha.

You guys are the best.

:)

Chris

g said...

Yes, believe it or not I AM a man! Lsst time I looked anyway! :)

So sorry about your daughter Chris! I'll keep her in my prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything for you.

As far as the poster, I think we all know who it is don;t we? It sounds like someone we have all probably dealt with many times. She gets offended quickly if not responded to quickly and then seem to be very paranoid. Am I close?
She just needs to be ignored. She was kinda weird from the get go.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Greg. :)